Note: This topic is relevant for NextGen Synchronizer only. For details about the ALM Synchronizer, see ALM Synchronizer for Agile Manager or search using the ALM Synchronizer filter.
Agile Manager and ALM maintain separate lists of user list fields, such as for the Assigned To field.
Users in these lists are mapped once for each pair of endpoints. This means that if you mapped the users between an Agile Manager workspace and an ALM project when creating a requirement link, the same mapping is used when you create a defect link between the same two endpoints.
The following chart describes how Synchronizer recognizes mapped users, using manual or automatic mapping methods.
ALM users defined with an email address that is identical to the one used to log in to Agile Manager are automatically mapped for all user list fields.
If a user has multiple email addresses defined in ALM, only the first email address is synchronized with Agile Manager.
When the Agile Manager user list does not contain a user that matches the ALM user, then:
- If you defined a Default user for the Agile Manager endpoint, this user is mapped to the ALM user.
- If no default is defined, and the ALM user has a valid email address, Synchronizer uses this email address in the relevant Agile Manager user field. The user is not added to the Agile Manager user list.
- If no default is defined, and the ALM user does not have a valid email address, then the automatic mapping fails. Manually map this ALM user to an existing Agile Manager user.
Map ALM and Agile Manager users manually if the email addresses are not identical, or if the ALM user is not defined with an email address.
Access the User Mapping dialog box.
Select a link to edit its user mapping.
From the More Actions menu Select More Actions > Edit User Mapping. From a user list field
On the Field Mapping tab, select a user list field, such as Assigned To. The selected field must be mapped to a user list field in the other endpoint.
On the right, expand the User Mapping node, and click edit.
The User Mapping dialog box displays only users mapped manually. Users mapped automatically are not listed.
- Periodically, use the Refresh button at the top of this dialog box to make sure you are working with the most up-to-date Agile Manager and ALM user lists.
- If you migrated the link from ALM Synchronizer for Agile Manager together with users mapped in a CSV file, or imported user mapping using a CSV file, those users are now mapped manually and are also listed in the table.
For details, see Import a link from ALM Synchronizer.
Define default users for when there is no matching user in the destination endpoint.
This may happen, for example, if a user once existed in an endpoint's user list, and is therefore listed as a user list value, but has since been deleted from the other endpoint's user list.
Expand the Default user area, and define default users for destination endpoints in both Agile Manager and ALM.
Caution: If you map a user field bidirectionally, the default value will overwrite the value that no longer exists in the user list.
email@example.com is listed as the owner of a defect in Agile Manager, but does not appear in the user list in ALM.
When synchronizing the defect, firstname.lastname@example.org from Agile Manager is mapped to email@example.com in ALM.
After bidirectional synchronization, the defect in Agile Manager lists firstname.lastname@example.org as the defect owner.
See step #4 below for another solution for this situation.
Map users manually
Select corresponding users from the dropdown menus for each endpoint, set the direction, and then click Add Mapping.
- Select Show unmapped only to display only users who are not yet mapped in the dropdown lists.
To import user mapping from a link created in ALM Synchronizer for Agile Manager, click Import import user mapping file at the top of the dialog box, and select a CSV file to import.
Imported mapping files must be prepared ahead of time. For details, see User mapping file (.csv).
Map an Agile Manager user to a user that is not included in the ALM user list
- In the Manual Mapping area, select an Agile Manager user name.
- In the ALM/QC Users box, type a name of a user that does not exist in the ALM user list, and select the map to non-existing user entry.
During synchronization, the user name that you mapped is entered in the relevant user fields, without adding it to the ALM user list.
Caution: In ALM, user fields can be set to Verify value. This means that in this field, ALM only allows users who exist in the user list. If you bidirectionally synchronize such user fields, using a non-existent ALM user could fail the synchronization.