This task describes how to create flow-level or test-level parameters by promotion.
- This task is part of a higher-level task. For details, see Introducing Data Handling (Parameters).
For an alternative method for promoting parameters, see the tip below.
Make sure that the components or flows that you are adding to the flows and business process tests have parameters defined.
Select a flow or test
In the Test Plan module > Test Script tab, select the flow or business process test to which you want to add components or flows. This is the flow or test in which new components are created, based on the parameters promoted from the components or flows.
Select components or flows and promote parameters to the next level
- In the Test Script tab, click the Select Components button. The Select Components and Flows pane opens. For user interface details, see Select Components and Flows Pane.
- Select the component or flow that you want to add to the flow or test and contains the parameters you want to promote.
- Click the Quick Add button in the pane's toolbar and select one of the promotion options.
Depending on the promotion option you select, the Promote Parameters dialog may open. For user interface details, see Promote Parameters Dialog Box.
To add the component or flow using the last-used method for parameter promotion, do one of the following:
- Double-click the component or the flow.
- Drag the component or flow to the Script pane.
- Click the Quick Add button in the toolbar without selecting an option.
- Click the Quick Add button's down arrow, and select Quick Add.
Tip: When you promote a flow output parameter from a specific component output parameter, the flow output parameter is automatically named to match the component and flow parameter naming convention. If required, you can change the flow output parameter name to suit your needs.
Tip: If automatic promotion is enabled in Customization, you can also promote parameters automatically to all higher levels when creating a business component or flow parameter.
In the Business Component / Test Plan modules, select the component or flow.
Then select the Parameters tab and click New Parameter.
In the New Parameter dialog box, check the Promote automatically to test level check box before saving.