This section describes how to create and manage host templates in ALM.
For an overview, see Host Templates Overview.
Note: This task is part of a higher-level task. For details, see How to Set Up Cloud Hosts.
Creating a Host Template
This task describes how to create a host template in ALM.
Considerations when creating host templates
When creating host templates, make sure to:
- Create a template for each host configuration that your testers will need. Testers can only provision cloud hosts from existing templates.
- Clearly describe the type of host that is provisioned by each template so that testers can provision exactly the hosts they need.
- Ensure that the number of credits consumed by a host accurately reflects the cost of provisioning that host.
To add a host template to ALM, you must have added at least one cloud account. See How to Manage Cloud Accounts for more information.
When creating host templates, you need to supply the following:
- Location. Specifies the cloud region from which the template provisions hosts. The instance types and machine images available for the template depend upon the chosen location.
- Instance Type. Specifies the hardware configuration of hosts created from the template. Instance types are provided by your cloud provider. Familiarize yourself with each of the instance types available from your cloud provider before you start creating host templates.
- Machine Image. Specifies the software image to use for hosts created from the template. Machine images are managed on the website of your cloud provider. Make sure to upload all required images to your cloud provider before you start creating host templates. Micro Focus also provides a set of predefined images for you to use. Microsoft Azure cloud accounts cannot use predefined images.
Create a host template
To create a host template:
- Log into the project that created the cloud account for which you are creating host templates.
- Go to Cloud Settings > Host Templates.
- Click the New Host Template button . This opens the New Host Template Dialog Box. For details, see New Host Template Dialog Box.
- Enter the details of the new host template and click OK. The host template is created. For information about what to enter in each field, see Host Templates Module Fields.
Your new host template can now be used to provision cloud hosts.
- Host templates added from user projects are private and can be used only by the projects that created them. Host templates added from Lab Management are public and can be used by any project that is linked to the template's cloud account.
- When creating a host template, you can only select cloud accounts that were added in the same project.
Creating Images for Microsoft Azure Cloud Accounts
To create images for Microsoft Azure cloud accounts, follow the instructions in this KB article.
Modifying Host Template Details
To modify details for a host template:
- Log into the project that created the host template.
- In Cloud Settings > Host Template, select a host template in the grid and click the Host Template Details button . This opens the Host Template Details Dialog Box.
- Make any necessary changes and click OK.
Deleting a Host Template
To delete a host template:
- Log into the project that created the host template you wish to delete.
- In Cloud Settings > Host Templates, select a host template in the grid and click the Delete button . The host template is deleted.
Note: Deleting a host template does not terminate cloud hosts provisioned from that template. See How to Provision and Terminate Cloud Hosts for more information about terminating cloud hosts.