Configuring Notification Schemes
Deployment Automation relies on LDAP and an associated email server to send notifications. You must set up LDAP prior to configuring notifications. Notification recipients are defined with the security system's LDAP integration. See Security Administration.
Deployment Automation requires an external SMTP mail server to send notifications. For information about configuring a mail server, see System Administration.
Notification schemes define what events should generate notifications and who should get them. When setting up notification schemes, to determine which users will receive notifications, you select the triggering events and the role. For example, it is common for an administrator or environment owner to be notified when a work item, as part of the approval process, has been generated.
You can configure the default scheme and set up additional schemes as needed for your implementation. You should select the template to use based on the reason for the notification and the recipients of the notification.
To configure a notification scheme:
Navigate to Administration > System.
Select Notification Schemes.
Select and edit an existing scheme, such as Default Notification Scheme, or click Create to create a scheme.
Set the available notification scheme options as follows.
Option Description Name Specify a name for the scheme. Description Specify a description for the scheme. Attach Logs Select this to include a log file attachment for each target that shows the success or failure status of each step. Attachment maximum before archival Specify the number of logs to attach before the logs are compressed into an archive.
To edit or add notification entries, select the notification scheme.
Edit an existing notification entry, such as Process Failure or Process Success, or click the Create Notification Entry button to create an entry.
Set the available notification entry options as follows.
Option Description Type Select an event type for which to send notifications. The event type is typically determined by the type of recipient. For example, a deployment engineer would be interested in being notified about a failed deployment (Process Failure).
Available types are:
- Process Success
- Process Failure
- Process Started
- Approval Completed
- Approval Failed
- Agent Goes Offline
- Deployment Package Success
- Deployment Package Failure
- Deployment Package Started
Select notification targets:
- Application: Notifications are sent when the event type corresponds to an application. For example, the Process Success event, when paired with the Application target, would initiate a notification when a process, such as an application deployment, is successful. See Creating Applications.
- Environment: Notifications are sent when the event type corresponds to an environment. For example, the Process Success event would initiate a notification when a successful deployment has been run in an environment, such as SIT or PROD.
- Agent: Notifications are sent when the event type corresponds to an agent. For example, the Agent Goes Offline event would initiate a notification when an agent goes offline. See Assigning Notification Schemes to Agents.
Select a role to be notified. Each user who is assigned the selected role will receive an email.
Note: The role corresponds to those set in Role Configuration. See Creating and Editing Roles.
Template Name Select a notification template name. This selection is limited by the Type and Target selections.