Configure notification schemes
This topic explains how to set up notification schemes that define what events generate notifications and what users are notified.
Deployment Automation relies on LDAP and an associated email server to send notifications. You must set up LDAP prior to configuring notifications. Notification recipients are defined with the security system's LDAP integration. See Security Administration.
Deployment Automation requires an external SMTP mail server to send notifications. For information about configuring a mail server, see System Administration.
When setting up notification schemes, to determine who will receive notifications, you select the triggering events and the user role. For example, it is common for an administrator or environment owner to be notified when a work item, as part of the approval process, has been generated.
You can configure the default scheme and set up additional schemes as needed for your implementation. You should select the template to use based on the reason for the notification and the recipients of the notification.
To set up a notification scheme:
In Deployment Automation, navigate to Administration > System.
Select the Notification Schemes tab.
Select and edit an existing scheme, for example, the Default Notification Scheme.
Or click Create to create a new scheme.
If you're creating a new scheme, set the following options:
Option Description Name Specify a name for the scheme. Description Specify a description for the scheme. Attach Logs Select this option to include a log file attachment for each target that shows the success or failure status of each step. Attachment maximum before archival Specify the number of logs to attach before the logs are compressed into an archive.
To edit or add notification entries:
- Select the notification scheme.
- Edit an existing notification entry, such as Process Failure or Process Success, or click the Create button to create an entry.
In the Create Notification Entry dialog box, set the following entry options:
Option Description Type Select an event type for which to send notifications. The event type is typically determined by the type of recipient. For example, a deployment engineer would be interested in being notified about a failed deployment (Process Failure).
Available types are:
- Process Success
- Process Failure
- Process Started
- Approval Completed
- Approval Failed
- Agent Goes Offline
- Deployment Package Success
- Deployment Package Failure
- Deployment Package Started
Select notification targets:
- Application: Notifications are sent when the event type corresponds to an application. For example, the Process Success event, when paired with the Application target, would initiate a notification when a process, such as an application deployment, is successful. See Create applications.
- Environment: Notifications are sent when the event type corresponds to an environment. For example, the Process Success event would initiate a notification when a successful deployment has been run in an environment, such as SIT or PROD.
- Agent: Notifications are sent when the event type corresponds to an agent. For example, the Agent Goes Offline event would initiate a notification when an agent goes offline. See Assign notification schemes to agents.
Select a role to be notified. Each user who is assigned the selected role will receive an email.
Note: The role corresponds to those set in Role Configuration. See Create and edit roles.
Template Name Select a notification template name. This selection is limited by the Type and Target selections.
- Click Save.