Create and design application processes
This topic describes how to create an application process, design its sequence of steps, and view its details.
Like with component and global processes, you design application processes in the process designer.
Create an application process
When creating an application process, you specify its basic details.
To create an application process:
Navigate to Management > Applications > [select application].
- Select the Processes tab.
- Click Create. The Create Application Process dialog box opens.
Specify the following information:
Field Description Name Enter a name for the process. Typically, it corresponds to the application you plan on deploying. Description (Optional) Specify additional information to identify the process. Required Application Role Select the role that enables a user to run the application. For information about creating application roles, see Role Configuration. By default, no role is selected. Inventory Management To have inventory handled automatically, accept the default value, Automatic. To handle inventory manually, select Advanced. For details, see Inventory Management. Offline Agent Handling
Select how you want the system to behave if expected agents are offline:
- Check Before Execution: Before running the process, the system checks if expected agents are online. If the agents are offline, the process does not run.
- Use All Available; Report Failure: The system runs the process as long as at least one expected agent is online. This option reports any failed deployments due to offline agents. It is useful for rollbacks or configuration deployments.
- Always Report Success: The system runs the process as long as at least one expected agent is online. This option reports successful deployments.
Only Changed Versions If this option is selected, the Only Changed Versions option will be selected by default in the Run Application Process wizard. If the check box is cleared, the Only Changed Versions option will not be selected by default.
You can select or clear the Only Changed Versions option in the wizard regardless of the default setting.
To change the default setting, see Configure the Default for Only Changed Versions option.
Execution Timeout Specify how long (in hours and minutes) the process runs until it times out.
To run the process indefinitely, accept the default value, 00:00.
To create another application process, click Save and New.
After creating a process, design its flow.
After creating an application process, you design its flow to tell Deployment Automation what to do when deploying the whole application.
Use the process designer to drag application process steps from the Tools pane onto the design space, configure the steps' properties, and join the steps in a sequence.
For details on available steps, see Application process steps.
Here's an example of a designed application process:
To design an application process:
- From the list of application processes, select the process you created earlier. The process designer opens.
- (Optional) In the process designer's toolbar, you can:
- Adjust the view using the Zoom In, Zoom Out, or Actual Size icons.
- Move the process around in the design space by selecting Show Outline Box. In the Outline Map box that opens, drag the outline corner inward or outward.
- View available options for all connections between steps by selecting Show Connection Options.
- Hide annotations. The annotations you have added to the process are displayed by default. If you want to hide them, clear the Show Annotations check box.
In the Tools pane, select a process step.
Use Search to find steps by name.
- To add a step to the process, drag the step onto the design space. You can place it anywhere on the design space and reposition it later.
- In the Properties pane, configure the step.
Join the process steps in a sequence:
- Point to step 1 to view a connection tool, drag the connection tool over step 2, and release it.
Point to step 2, grab the connection tool, and drag it over step 3.
Connect the rest of the steps in the same way. For details on how to create connections with conditions, see Use conditions and switch steps in processes.
Tip: If Show Connection Options is not selected in the toolbar, select each connection manually to view its options. Connections are color-coded for the process path: Success (green), Failure (red), and Always (gray).
After configuring and connecting the steps, click Save .
Manage application process details
To manage an application process, navigate to Management > Applications > [select application] > Processes and click the Details icon next to the relevant process.
On the process details page, you can modify the process, add or edit properties, and view process changes and inventory.
To manage application process details:
- To add, remove, or change the sequence of process steps, click the Design button.
- To change basic information, click the Edit icon next to the process details.
- To view change history for the process, select the Changes tab.
- To view changes in inventory, select Changes > Inventory.
- To add process properties, select the Properties tab and click Add Property. For details, see Add application process properties.
- To edit or delete a property, click the relevant icon next to it.