Set up and secure Jira authentication
This topic describes how to use and secure authentication credentials for Jira request providers in Dimensions CM.
Use Dimensions CM authentication credentials
You can use Dimensions CM authentication credentials (user ID and password) when setting up authentication to Jira.
- Jira is hosted as a Server (not in the Cloud).
- The Dimensions CM and Jira user ID and password match.
- The Jira provider has basic authentication enabled. For details, see Add Jira as a request provider.
To use Dimensions CM authentication credentials:
Open the Dimensions CM server dm.cfg configuration file. The default locations are:
- Windows: <install_dir>/Dimensions<version>/CM/dm.cfg
- UNIX: <install_dir>/dimensions/cm/dm.cfg
- In the server configuration file, add this variable:
- Restart the Dimensions CM server.
Secure Jira credentials
After users authenticate to Jira from Dimensions CM clients, their Jira credentials are encrypted and cached in the CM database. For additional security, CM administrators can specify a password that is used to encrypt the Jira credentials in the database.
Note: Changing the custom password after users have registered their Jira credentials in Dimensions CM invalidates the stored credentials. Users will need to log in again to Jira in a Dimensions CM client.
To secure Jira credentials:
On the Dimensions CM server, run the dmpasswd utility:
dmpasswd DM_JIRA_SECRET -add -pwd <Your custom password>
This command registers the value for
DM_JIRA_SECRET in the encrypted file dfs/registry.dat using the custom password that you specified.