View, upload, and manage apps
You can upload a new app, see information about apps that have already been uploaded, and delete apps.
Note: Full multi-workspace functionality described here is only available with a Trial, Enterprise, or Ultimate license. If you install an Express or Pro license, or if you move from a Trial license to an Express or Pro license, you will have limited functionality. You will be able to manage the access of users to available devices by creating workspaces, and by moving devices and users to these workspaces, similar to the device group functionality provided in earlier versions of Mobile Center. However, you will only be able to upload apps as shared assets.
Tip: Use the filter panel to limit what items are displayed, so that you can focus on the information that is important to you. You can filter by OS
You can also view the apps in a List view. Click List and Card view in the upper right corner to toggle between the views.
To see the details in the List view, select an app and click … More. In Card view, the apps are displayed with the following summary details:
- Name of the app
The app name may contain I18N characters.
- Operating system
Android or iOS. When the app requires a minimum OS version, this is indicated next to the OS icon.
- SV enabled
Whether this app is packaged for Service Virtualization integration.
- Upload number, version and build number
By default, the latest upload for the workspace that you are viewing is selected.You may have several uploads of an app that you want to test. For example, if you introduce changes to your app, you may want to test the differences between the various uploads of the application. You can choose to use the latest upload, or a specific upload of an app.
- Compatible device types
Indicates what type of devices are compatible with the app - Phone, Tablet, or both.
The workspace to which the app is uploaded.
Note that System apps are not assigned to a specific workspace.
- Apps that were uploaded in an earlier version of Mobile Center and failed to be repackaged during the upgrade, will have a red icon in the top left corner, and will be blurred. For information on manually repackaging an app, see Package an iOS app manually on a Mac machine or Package an Android app manually
Several built-in apps are provided with your installation:
The MC Browser apps for iOS and Android can be used to test mobile web applications.
The MC Browser apps can't be deleted or updated. For more details, see MC Browser Apps.
The Advantage Shopping app is available for devices with iOS 8.2 and higher and Android devices versions 4.4 and higher.
This app is a sample online store for home electronics. It has a standard online shop interface, with common features such as search and a shopping cart.
Hover on a specific app, and a floating toolbar is displayed with the following options:
- Delete. Delete all uploads of the app
in this workspace.
- Mobile Center extended services . Click for the following extended services:
Security Scan, Production Usage, Crowd Testing, and App X-Ray. For details, see Extended services.
- More information . Click More information to display the full details of the app as shown below:
This is the specific upload of the app selected for testing. If you introduce changes to your app between uploads, you may want to test the differences between the various uploads of the application. By default, the latest upload is always selected for testing.
This is the version & build number of the app. Mobile Center takes this from the manifest file of the app.
|This is the unique identifier for the app. This information is taken directly from the manifest file of the app. You can also filter by this name.|
|Android apps only: The name of the Android activity to run when the app is launched.|
Displays all the app uploads
|The information icon displays whether the packaged or non-packaged version of the app is available. For more details, see When to use a packaged app.|
|Lists the workspace to which this app belongs. For more details, see Workspace management.|
Note: In certain installations, there will be additional information:
Beneath the Package ID, the app details will show the workspace to which the app was uploaded.
- For iOS apps, there will be a button to view signed devices, indicating the devices on which the app can be installed. For details, see Device provisioning information below.
- For apps uploaded after Service Virtualization was enabled, there will be an indication of the SV Enabled services, such as Bluetooth, NFC, and REST API. For details, see Service Virtualization integration.
In List view, the following actions are available for a selected app:
- Delete. Delete all uploads of the app
in this workspace.
- More . Displays the full details of the app.
Provisioning is the process of preparing an app to launch on devices. As part of this process, a match is required between the provisioning profile embedded in the app and the one installed on the device. If you have an Enterprise certificate, all devices are included. If, however, you have a development certificate, you must make sure that the UDID of your device is listed in the provisioning profile.
For information on how to create a provisioning profile, see Generate a development provisioning profile.
To check whether or not your upload can be installed:
- In the App view, click on the More information icon in the app whose upload you want to test.
Select the upload you want to test, and hover on the icon in the App Details screen. The tooltip shows the status of the selected upload:
- Signed with an enterprise certificate and can be installed on all devices.
- Signed with a development certificate. Click on the icon for the list of devices included in the provisioning profile.
If the provisioning profile of an iOS app that you select to install on a specific device does not include that device, a warning icon will be displayed, and you will not be able to proceed with your selection. Note that this only applies when selecting a specific device, and not if you select a device by capabilities.
You can upload an app in one of the following ways:
- For all users: Click the APPS tab. In the APPLICATIONS pane click Upload (list view) or Upload application (card view). Select the app.
For admins only:
- In Administration, click the MANAGEMENT tab.
- In the left pane, click Lab Management.
- Select ALL APPS to view all the apps in your lab.
- Click the Upload button and specify the path to the app and a workspace.
- Click UPLOAD.
- If you are using a Pro or Express license, the app is uploaded to the shared assets.
- If you open the Mobile Center wizard from an integration tool, such as UFT, the workspace selection drop down is not shown—it uses the workspace configured in the testing tool.
- The maximum file size that you can upload is 200 MB.
- For devices running an Android version prior to 5.00, apps with multiple dex files are not supported (for packaged apps).
Why can't I see all my apps?
Check the filter panel to see what options are selected. Mobile Center displays only the items that fit the filter conditions. To display all items, select all the filter options and clear the search field of any text that you have entered.
Blue text in the filter pane indicates an active filter.