Use the Board View
Use a Board view to view items in a visual way.
Board view provides a visual, interactive display of items as cards. The view is divided into swimlanes, where each lane represents a different phase for the selected entity. Under each swimlane header, the relevant items are displayed as cards.
The Board view is available for epics, features, backlog items, tasks, and requirements (children).
The following example shows user stories and defects in the New, In Progress, and In Testing phases.
To open the Board view, click the Board View button in the toolbar.
You can perform the following operations on the cards in the Board view:
- Use the slider to change the card size.
- Use the Print cards button to open a preview of the cards and print them. The filter that you apply to the view from the right pane, also applies to the printing. For example, in Backlog items, if you only want to print the defects, select Defects as the Item type.
- Drag and drop cards to change their rank within their phase. The rank appears in the top right corner of the car, in a blue square.
- Drag and drop cards to change their phase, for example from 'in Progress to In Testing.
- Use the Background Color drop down button to select a color for the board's background. This color does only applies to the online view—not to the printout.
The Story Board is a Board view that displays your team's Backlog Items. It displays work items according to context, meaning a specific release, sprint (in case of Scrum), and team.
The board displays the four metaphases: New, In Progress, In Testing and Done.
By default, the different item types are merged into a single column per phase:
- New merges the New columns for user stories, defects, and quality stories.
- In progress merges the Opened column for defects and the In Progress columns for user stories and quality stories.
- In Testing merges the Fixed column for defects and the In Testing for user stories and quality stories.
- Done merges the Closed column for defects and the Done column for user stories and quality stories.
If you filter out certain item types from the story board, phases that belong only to the excluded types are removed from the board. For example, if you filter out defects, the Rejected phase is hidden.
You can divide into additional phases to reflect your team's workflow.
The board supports both Kanban and Scrum methodologies.
The Story Board can be accessed from the Team Backlog in the main menu, or by clicking the Board View button in the Backlog Items tab.
You can customize the display to include more columns representing more phases, to merge phases for different item types, rename a column, and hide a column.
You can also set the Work in Progress (WIP) limit and the card time limit, as described in Set Story Board workflow rules.
Prerequisites for customizing the Story Board display
To customize the story board display, select a single team in the context filter. In addition, the following conditions need to be met:
- You need to be a team member of the selected team.
- You need to have the Customize Story Board By Member permission.
|Rename a column||Click the column name to enter into edit mode. Rename the column and click outside the column name to save.|
|Merge phases into a single column||
|Split a column||
|Hide a column||
Right-click the column that you want to hide, and then click Hide.
To restore the column, in the toolbar, click the Choose Columns button, and select the column.
When you work with the Story Board, specify rules to structure your workflow, including:
|A work-in-progress (WIP) limit||
A per-team limit for the number of items allowed (WIP) in each metaphase and phase. Each team can have different limits for each metaphase and phase.
|Card time limit||
A per phase limit on the cycle time for an item in each phase. The cycle time is the time spent working on an item. This is the time it takes from when work begins on an item to when it is completed.
ALM Octane measures the cycle time as the number of days in which the item is in the In Progress or In Testing phases.
To set board rules:
At the top of the Team Backlog module, select a release and team from the drop-down lists.
In the header of any Board View column, below the WIP limit indicator, hover over the displayed number:
In the displayed tooltip, click the infinity symbol in the relevant field and enter a new limit.
If the team violates one of the limits, ALM Octane displays an alert:
For WIP limits
ALM Octane displays an alert icon in the phase column header:
For card time limits
The Board View header displays an alert
The individual Board View card displays an alert with a clock icon. Hover to see details on the limit violation:
Hover over the alert to see the details.
For card time limits, track completion using the Control Chart widget in the Dashboard:
Note: This widget is per release and sprint, not per team.
Use the Board View to add items as in any other ALM Octane view.
To add items in the Board View:
In the toolbar, click the down arrow next to the + and select the type of item to add.
Also, add existing items from the release backlog or sprint backlog:
In the main Backlog module window, drag an item to a release bucket or sprint bucket (if necessary).
In the Details tab of an item, assign the item to a release and/or sprint.
Hover on a column in the Board View and click the Add + button. Select the item to add (defect, user story, or quality story), and name.
To continue editing details for an item, click the entity link.