Convert backlog items
You can convert epics, features, user stories, and defects to other backlog item types.
The following table describes which conversions you can perform:
|Epic, User Story, Defect
|User Story, Feature
Prerequisites and behaviors
In order to convert one entity to another, the user must have "Delete" permission on the source entity type and "Create" permission on the target entity type.
The conversion behaves as follows:
- When the source entity type includes a field that does not exist in the target entity type, that field value will be lost.
- If both the source entity and target entity have a UDF with the same name and type, the value will persist as is.
- After the conversion, the target entity's phase will be whatever is the initial phase for that entity type. Most often, this phase is "New."
- During the conversion process, set field business rules and validations will not run. For example, required fields will persist as empty.
- The source entity's attachments, comments, commits, tests, and history will persist into the target entity.
Convert a backlog item
You can convert backlog items from one item type to another type.
To convert a backlog item:
- Select a single backlog item of the type listed above.
- Click Convert. Follow the on-screen instructions to select the new entity type, and complete the conversion.