Manage ALM Octane entities from within PPM
You can manage an ALM Octane entity from within PPM.
When a PPM request type is mapped with an entity type (such as feature and user story) and an ALM Octane project:
- Creating and moving a request of the request type to a certain workflow step in PPM would automatically create a mapped entity in the mapped project in ALM Octane.
- Changes in the request or the agile entity are synced between PPM and ALM Octane.
This allows users of both applications to participate in the processing of requests, defects, features, user stories, and so on.
If you want to manage an ALM Octane entity through managing a mapped PPM request in PPM, the PPM request should belong to a request type that meets the following requirements:
The request type is enabled.
|Make sure the request type is active.|
|The request header type for the request type includes the field group: Agile Integration Info.||
This field group in the PPM request details page contains details of the mapped agile entity.
To add the Agile Integration Info field group to a request header type, see Request Header Type Field Groups .
The request type is assigned a workflow, and the workflow contains an execution step that has the following special command added:
When you create a request of the request type in PPM, and when the request moves to the execution workflow step, the special command triggers the action of creating a mapped agile entity.
To assign a workflow to a request type, see Creating Simple Default Rules for Request Types .
To add the special command to an execution workflow step:
Map PPM request types with ALM Octane entity types
When a PPM request type is mapped with an ALM Octane entity type, creating a request of the request type in PPM enables creating an entity of the entity type in ALM Octane. You can map the same PPM request type with different ALM Octane entity types that are managed in different ALM Octane projects.
To map a qualified PPM request type with an ALM Octane entity type:
- Add an ALM Octane instance. See Add an ALM Octane agile instance.
In the Request Mapping tab of the instance, click the add icon next to Request Type Mapping.
Map a PPM request type with an ALM Octane entity type and an ALM Octane project.
PPM Request Type Select a PPM request type to map. Agile Project Select an ALM Octane project where a mapped ALM Octane entity is to be created. Agile Entity Type
Select an ALM Octane entity type to map with the PPM request type.
For example, if you select Feature, it means creating a PPM request of the request type would create a feature in the ALM Octane project.
Whether or not the mapping is enabled.
You can only enable a request type mapping that has field mappings added.
- Click Save.
Add field mappings to enable the request type mapping.
How field mappings work
- When you create a request in PPM, the values in the request fields are auto-filled in the mapped ALM Octane entity fields.
When you update a field in the PPM request or ALM Octane entity, the field value is synced from PPM to ALM Octane, or from ALM Octane to PPM, or bi-directionally, depending on how sync direction is set for the field mapping.
How to add a field mapping
Click the add icon next to Field Mapping.
Add mappings between PPM request fields and ALM Octane entity fields.
For details about the supported PPM-Octane field type mappings, see Supported PPM-Octane Field Type Mappings.
If you map a PPM field with an unqualified agile field, the field mapping is highlighted in red upon saving. Hover over it to see details about how to correct it.
- Repeat step a through step c to add other field mappings.
- Click in the Request Type Mapping line to enable the request type mapping.
(Optional) If you want to receive email notifications when the request type mapping error occurs or the mapping creates or updates agile entities in ALM Octane, set up email notifications for the request type mapping.
- Select the request type mapping, and click in the Request Type Mapping line.
- Specify when and how often email notifications are sent and sent to whom.
Email notifications provide the same information as event logs. See View event logs.
Create an ALM Octane entity by creating a PPM request
To create an ALM Octane entity by creating a PPM request:
- Make sure the ALM Octane entity type is mapped with a PPM request type, and the mapping is enabled.
- From the PPM menu, select Create > Request, and click the mapped PPM request type.
In the Create New <PPM_Request_Type> page, Agile Integration Info section, provide the following information.
Agile Instance Name Select the ALM Octane instance where the mapping is created. Agile Project Select the agile project where you want the ALM Octane entity to be created. Agile Entity Type Select the entity type that the ALM Octane entity belongs to. Sync Flag
- If yes, the PPM request would trigger creating a mapped agile entity in ALM Octane, and the value changes of mapped fields are synced between PPM and ALM Octane. See How changes are synced between PPM and ALM Octane.
If no, the PPM request does not trigger creating a mapped agile entity in ALM Octane.
If you change sync flag to "No" after the PPM request successfully creates a mapped agile entity in ALM Octane, the value changes of mapped fields are not synced between PPM and ALM Octane.
Agile Entity ID
Not editable when creating or update the request.
It shows link of the ALM Octane entity after the request is submitted and moved to a certain workflow step where the mapped agile entity is created in ALM Octane.
Do not edit these fields after creating the request, otherwise, the sync between the request and the agile entity may fail.
- Provide other request information.
Submit the request.
When the request moves to the workflow step where the special command
ksc_create_agile_requirement '[REQ.REQUEST_ID]'is added, an entity of the selected agile entity type is created in the selected agile project in ALM Octane. You can click the link in the Agile Entity ID field to open the entity in ALM Octane.
What if a field is required in ALM Octane but its mapped field in PPM request is not filled?
It might happen that a field is required when creating an ALM Octane entity but the field is not mapped to a PPM request field, or its mapped PPM field is not filled.
In this case, to avoid ALM Octane entity creation failure, PPM would give a default value to the required ALM Octane entity field when creating the entity.
For example, the Name field is required when creating a user story in ALM Octane. If the mapped PPM field is not filled, the Name field would be auto-filled with the default message "This user story is auto-created by the mapped PPM request <request_id>."
When you create a request of a request type that is mapped with an ALM Octane entity type, and set the request field Sync Flag to Yes, the value changes that happen in mapped fields are synced regularly between PPM and ALM Octane.
- The sync happens every time when the background service External Request Info Sync Service runs.
- The background service syncs the field value changes according to how the sync direction is set for each field mapping. See Sync Direction.
- If a PPM Text field is mapped with a ALM Octane Memo field, and changes are synced from ALM Octane to PPM, a reference record is added in the PPM request to fully display the Memo field information.
Event logs keep records of:
- Whether a PPM request or an ALM Octane entity was created, updated, or deleted.
- Date and time of the event.
- Whether an error occurs to an event.
- Other details.
To view event logs of a request type mapping:
- Select the request type mapping and click .
- You can search the log for all the events that are logged for that request type mapping or for only their error events, over the date range you specify.