What's New in PPM 9.50
This section provides an overview of the features that were introduced or enhanced in PPM 9.42.
Program Management is enhanced in the following aspects for program managers and PMOs to better govern and execute programs created for various business objectives in the organization:
Upon the creation of a program, it is associated with a program type where the program settings are inherited. Using program types, PMOs can govern the program template for different types of programs to ensure the organization applies standardized format to execute programs. Program types also simplifies the mass update of program settings.
To create a program type, select Create > Administrative > Program Type.
To search a program type, select Search > Administrative > Program Types.
Program-level request and workflow
PPM 9.40 introduced the following out-of-the-box entities for Program Management: Program Details (request type), PFM Program (field group), and Program Process (workflow). With these entities, you can customize more information on the program level and control the program lifecycle using the request workflow.
The request type (along with the request workflow) linked with a program is specified by the Program process Request Type field. The value of this field is inherited from the program type the program belongs to, and cannot be changed in the program settings.
Program-level request details are displayed in the Details tab of Program Overview page.
Program health tracking
When tracking program health is enabled for a program, PPM calculates the program health based on program issues, risks, and scope changes.
When PPM calculates program health and overriding program's calculated health is enabled, program managers are allowed to override the calculated health, select another health for the program, and keep the program in the health status for a specified duration.
To enable tracking program overall health, select Track program health for this program in program settings.
To enable overriding program's calculated health, select Allow program managers to override the program's calculated health in program settings.
Summarized program header
Program header facilitates you to view the following information in a glance:
- Program status, associated portfolio, duration and progress
- Program overall health, issue health, risk health, and scope change health
- Program budget and actual cost
The Timeline tab of Program Overview page enables you to:
- View the program milestones and milestones of projects included in the program.
- Monitor milestone status
- Add and edit program milestones.
The Cost tab of Program Overview page provides a central location for you to view program cost, view program content cost, and perform Earned Value Analysis for projects included int he program.
User Management Console enables you to search, view, edit, and add users from PPM Web pages, saving you the effort to navigate to the PPM Workbench.
To open User Management Console, select Open > Administrative > Open User Management Console.
PPM 9.40 uses Agile Manager Connector 2 for the integration between PPM and Agile Manager. Agile Manager Connector 2 is deployed upon the installation of or upgrade to 9.40, and it implements the following advantages:
For the integration between PPM tasks and Agile Manager:
- You can map a PPM task with a new Agile Manager release, in addition to an existing Agile Manager release.
- You can select a specific sprint of a release to synchronize, and decide the level of details to synchronize (release level, sprint level, or user story level).
- When a PPM project is set as a hybrid project, you can still use time management to track actuals against the project as long as time is tracked at task level.
When a PPM project is set as a hybrid project, you can still track estimated remaining effort per resource assignment.
For the integration between PPM time sheets and Agile Manager:
- If a sprint in Agile Manager does not fall into the PPM time sheet period, instead of the whole sprint efforts are not retrieved into PPM, the efforts in the working days that are within the time sheet period are retrieved into PPM.
- PPM time sheet line cells are filled with daily total effort of all returned tasks in a release, instead of the average of total efforts of all returned tasks in a release.
Committing selected resource in resource finder
In previous versions, when you assign a resource to a position, the resource status is soft-booked. In this version, you can choose to commit assigned resource, that is, when a resource is assigned, the resource status becomes committed automatically.
Distributing demand to selected resources evenly in resource finder
In previous versions, when you assign resources to a position, PPM allocates the position demand unevenly. It uses up the remaining capacity of the first resource, then the second resource, and goes on until demand is fulfilled. Starting from 9.32.0003, you can distribute demand to the selected resources evenly.
Viewing resource pool assignable resources when Forwarding Requests
As a resource manager, you can check the resource availability of any resource pool when forwarding requests. This helps makes sure that you forward requests to effective resource pools that have assignable resources.
Able to select all resources in resource finder
The Check All option is available in the resource finder for you to select all resources by one click.
Not sending resource requests for positions of Certain statuses
Resource requests for the following positions are not sent any longer:
- Requested positions
- Fulfilled positions
- Softbooked or new positions that have zero unmet demand
Hiding staffing profile user data field names in Staffing Profile New UI
When the description of the user data field is started with "!", the user data field name is the value behind the "!". Therefore, to hide a staffing profile user data field name, set the field description to "!" only.
Enhancements on specifying requested resources for positions
- The Specific Resources Requested column becomes a default column in staffing profile.
- You can specify requested resources in inline-edit mode.
Adding horizontal and vertical totals in Staffing Profile New UI
Horizontal total (Forecast Total and Unmet Total) and vertical totals (Total Hours, Average FTE, or Person Days, depending on display view) are added in Staffing Profile New UI.
Displaying resource remaining capacity
Resource remaining capacity is displayed in Staffing Profile New UI and Resource Allocation Management Gantt view.
Filtering positions by unmet demand and over-allocation in Staffing Profile New UI
You are able to filter positions by unmet demand and over-allocation in Staffing Profile New UI, as you do in Staffing Profile Legacy UI.
Easier way to enter efforts for positions
In the Table view of Staffing Profile New UI, you can use
SHIFT+ CLICK to copy and paste efforts for positions in the same row.
More options in Staffing tab of Project Overview Page
The following options are added in the Staffing tab of Project Overview page to facilitate the use of staffing profile in this tab:
- Change Header or View Header button, depending on your access grant.
- More button, which enables you to configure access, configure notifications, delete staffing profile, and view staffing profile audit trail.
- Export to Excel icon.
Tracking user sessions using database table
Using the table PPM_LOGON_SESSIONS, you can track user sessions, including session start and end time, session type, how users logged on to PPM, PPM node on which the session was created, and how the session ended.
Exporting table component fields and requests search result to xlsx format
Table component fields and request search result are now exported to real Excel file (xlsx file) instead of xls file.
Enabling PPM Workbench to communicate with PPM Server via HTTPS
In 9.40, PPM workbench will communicate with PPM Server using HTTPS instead of RMIS by default.
If you still want PPM Workbench to communicate with PPM Server via RMIS, set the parameter
ENABLE_WORKBENCH_HTTPis set to
Preventing Data Loss Due to Inactivity in Request Details, Project Details, and Edit Time Sheet pages
You might spend long time entering data in pages like Edit Time Sheet page and Project Details page. However, PPM would regard this as inactivity and then terminate your session. This causes inconvenience because you have to start all over again.
PPM now introduces two parameters (
TIMESHEET_KEEPALIVE_MAX_ IDLE_TIME) for you to specify the duration you can stay idle in the Request Details page, Project Details page, and Edit Time Sheet page. This helps prevent data loss because of inactivity in these pages.
Support for OpenJDK 8
- For Windows platform, only Azul Zulu (a certified build of OpenJDK 8 ) is supported.
- For Linux platform, only OpenJDK 8 built into Linux distributions is supported.
- Support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7
- Mozilla Firefox support is extended to ESR 45.x
- Google Chrome support is extended to 47
- Remove the support for Internet Explorer 10