After creating a portfolio, you can add another portfolio in the portfolio as a subordinate (child portfolio or subportfolio). Therefore, each portfolio may have its parent portfolio and child portfolios. All the portfolios in the system build up a portfolio hierarchy, where you can see the position of a portfolio, its relationship with other portfolios, and its general financial information for the current fiscal year, based on your access grant.
- You should have the Edit Portfolio access grant, the Edit All Portfolio access grant, or the View All Portfolios access grant.
Opening Portfolio Hierarchy
- Click Open > Portfolio Management to open the My Portfolios page.
In the My Portfolios page, top-right corner, click the View Portfolio Hierarchy icon ().
Who Can View What in Portfolio Hierarchy
The set of portfolios you see in the hierarchy is based on your access grant and your designation as a portfolio manager of particular portfolios.
|Who||What can be done in portfolio hierarchy|
Example: Barbara Tan is the portfolio manager of the portfolio Grandchild 1, and has no access to view the other portfolios. What she can see in the portfolio hierarchy is as follows.
- She can see and open her portfolio: Grandchild 1.
- She can see the subportfolio of Grandchild 1, including the portfolio manager and financial information.
- She can see the portfolios in the hierarchy from Grandchild 1 up to its root, but cannot see their portfolio managers or financial information.
Viewing Financial Information in Portfolio Hierarchy
The portfolio hierarchy show Forecast Cost, Actual Cost, and Approved Budget for the following portfolios:
- the portfolios you can open.
- the immediate subportfolios of the portfolios that you can open.
For each portfolio in the hierarchy, amounts shown for Forecast Cost, Actual Cost, and Approved Budget are:
- totals for the current fiscal year.
- the sum of all of the direct items (programs, projects, proposals, or assets) in the portfolio and all of the items in its subportfolios, regardless of whether you can see all the subportfolios in the hierarchy.
Searching Portfolios in Portfolio Hierarchy
To search a portfolio in the portfolio Hierarchy,
- In the Search portfolios text box, enter a character string of the portfolio name.
- Only portfolios whose name include the character string and to which you have the view or edit access are listed in the search results.
- Up to 10 portfolios are listed.
- In the result, next to each portfolio, the entire hierarchical path from the root of the portfolio is shown, whether or not you have the access to view or edit the portfolios in the path.
- Click the desired portfolio to open it.