Create a Virtual Service
This task describes how to create a virtual service. For additional details on specific service types, see Virtual Service Types.
See the Service Virtualization video gallery for a clip on how to create a virtual service by learning a real service.
Optional: Create a new project
When you select a task from the Get Started page, these tasks first create a new virtualization project and then a new virtual service. For user interface details, see Welcome page.
For details on how to manually create a new virtualization project, see Manage Virtualization Projects.
Open an existing project
Select one of the following:
- On the Start Page, under Recent Projects, select a project.
- From the main menu, select File > Open Project/Solution.
Note: Projects created in earlier versions of Service Virtualization are fully compatible with Service Virtualization 5.4.
When opening a project created in a previous version of Service Virtualization, a pop up window displays, informing you that the project contains resources in an older format. Click Yes to confirm that you want to update your existing project.
For more information on virtualization projects, see Virtualization Projects.
Create a virtual service
Do one of the following:
Create a virtual service
In an existing project, select one of the following to launch the new virtual service wizard:
- From the main menu, select File > New > Virtual Service.
- In the Virtualization Explorer, right-click a virtualization entity and select Add > Virtual Service.
For user interface details, see Create New Virtual Service Wizard.
Create multiple virtual services in one step
Note: Available for SOAP over HTTP(S) services only.
You can create multiple virtual services by specifying a list of .wsdl files, or by providing a .csv file containing the paths to .wsdl files.
In an open project, select one of the following:
- From the main menu, select File > New > Multiple Virtual Services.
- In the Virtualization Explorer, right-click a virtualization entity and select Add > Multiple Virtual Services.
In the Import Real Service Description dialog box, enter a list of paths to your .wsdl files, separated by semicolons.
Alternatively, enter the path to a CSV file containing the paths to the .wsdl files.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
For user interface details, see Create Multiple Virtual Services Wizard.
Run service discovery
- For creating SOAP services: Discover all the services used by an application. For details, see Model Composite Applications.
- For creating REST services: Run HTTP Service Discovery to record communication passing through the HTTP(S) Proxy agent, and then create new REST virtual services based on the discovered services. For details, see HTTP Service Discovery.
Optional: Create a service template
- To save a service as a template: In the Virtualization Explorer, right-click the service and select Save as Template.
- To create a new service from a template: From the main menu, select File > New > Virtual Service from Template.