Relevant for: GUI tests and components
UFT One uses OCR (optical character recognition) mechanisms to identify text in your application.
When UFT One uses OCR
You can use UFT One's OCR capabilities in the following situations:
- When working with tests and scripted components, you can use the text and text area checkpoint or output value commands to verify or retrieve text in your objects.
- In addition, when working with tests, keyword or scripted components, and function libraries, you can insert steps to capture the text from objects in your application using the .GetVisibleText, the .GetTextLocation test object methods, the TextUtil.GetText or TextUtil.GetTextLocation reserved object methods, or the .GetText (for Terminal Emulator objects).
- Text test objects, which represent specific texts in the application, are also identified using OCR.
Note: Text recognition is not supported for objects in the Active Screen.
Supported in UFT One versions 15.0.1 or later (technical preview in 15.0.1)
Create Text test objects to represent specific texts in your application, regardless of the technology used to develop the application. You can then perform operations on these test objects, such as Click, Drag, Drop, Hover
In UFT One versions 15.0.2 and later, you can add Text test objects in the object repository editors and during a recording session. For details, see Work with Insight or Text test objects and Record a Text object step.
For the operations and properties supported on TextObjects, see the Insight & Text > TextObject Object topic in the UFT One Object Model Reference for GUI Testing.
OCR mechanisms and settings
When UFT One uses the OCR mechanism, a number of factors can affect the text it retrieves. Depending on the characteristics of the text you want to retrieve, you can adjust several OCR configuration options to optimize the way the text is captured. Use the Text Recognition Pane (Options Dialog Box > GUI Testing Tab) to specify the preferred text recognition mechanism and OCR-specific settings.
You can use one of the following text recognition engines:
- The Abbyy OCR (the default option)
- The Tesseract OCR engine
- The Google Cloud OCR engine
- The Baidu Cloud OCR engine
Cloud OCR engines are supported only in UFT One versions 15.0.1 or later.
Using a cloud OCR engine requires setting up an account with the relevant vendor and obtaining an access token or key used to connect to the cloud service.
- If UFT One cannot connect to the cloud OCR service using the configured details, it uses Abbyy instead.
OCR's accuracy depends on font and image quality and uniformity.
You should also note the following considerations for performing more effective text recognition:
|Fonts in your text||
(For the Abbyy and Tesseract OCR engines only)
|Colors and color contrast||
|Text within images||
|Dimension for text recognition||
|Tests created in UFT 15.0 or earlier||
In UFT One 15.0.1, the Abbyy OCR engine was upgraded to a much newer version. As a result, you may see changes in the text recognition of tests created in earlier versions of UFT One.
|OCR Engine consistency||Once you determine which OCR engine works best with your tests, we recommend using that engine consistently. Using different engines for different runs may produce different results.|