You can open a mobile device from the lab for manual testing. These sessions can be also be recorded. You can use the steps performed, along with the screenshots, to submit a defect directly to Octane.
Start a testing session
To start a testing session on a device:
- Open the UFT Mobile Lab console by navigating to:
http/s://<UFT Mobile server IP address>:<server port>and logging in with your credentials.
UFT Mobile Lab console (SaaS): To access the UFT Mobile Lab console, navigate to the UFT Mobile SaaS URL provided to you, and log in with your credentials.
- In the DEVICES tab, open a device by hovering over it in Card view and clicking or , or by clicking Open or Open & Record in List view.
Note: When you start a session on a device with Open & Record, UFT Mobile captures all steps that you perform, and saves snapshots automatically. Device responsiveness is therefore slower than when actions are performed on a device without recording.
You can interact with a device during a manual testing session, using the options in the device control panel to perform the following:
- Simulations, including Fingerprint and Face ID simulation, Photo and video simulation, and QR code and barcode simulation
- App interactions. For details, see Device interactions.
- Change your orientation, zoom in and out of your device, or send text to your device. For details, see Device control panel.
If you opened the device remote viewer from the lab console using the Open and Record button , UFT Mobile opens the recording toolbar. Actions performed on the device and from the device control panel are added as steps, together with a screenshot.
The step recorder toolbar enables you perform the following actions:
|Pause and resume the recording|
|Stop the recording|
Display and edit steps. Open the dropdown on the toolbar to see the steps, and for additional editing options
For details, see Edit steps.
|Download a zip file of the steps. The zip file includes screenshots and the following text files: device_details, recorded_steps, and device_logs. You can use this to create a test case.|
|Submit a defect to Octane. For details, see Submit defect.|
The date and time that a step was performed is now also added after the step in the zip file, and in the defect.
When launching an app from the app interactions, the app version and build number are included in brackets at the end of the step. For example:
During a recorded session, you can open the dropdown on the toolbar to see the list of steps. Use the options in the step editor toolbar to edit steps as follows:
Select the step/s to delete, or click Select All. Click the delete button. When steps are deleted, the numbering of the steps and screenshots is adjusted accordingly.
- Click Add note to add a note or step. A screenshot is taken automatically when the button is clicked. A placeholder for the note is added as the last step, accompanied by the screenshot.
- Start typing. Click the checkmark to confirm the text and add the note.
The note is added with a /// prefix which cannot be deleted, to indicate that it was added manually.
By default, screenshots are included in the zip file for most steps. Certain steps, such as installing or uninstalling an app, do not include screenshots.
Exclude a specific screenshot: You can remove screenshots for specific steps. Click to toggle between including or excluding a screenshot for a specific step.
If your administrator has enabled the integration with Octane in the administration settings, you can submit defects during a recorded manual testing session. For details, see Defect Tracking System integration.
To submit a defect:
- Click the button.
- UFTM checks the connection to Octane. A new tab opens for you to log into Octane. After successfully logging in, or if you are already logged in to Octane, you can close the tab.
If your UFT Mobile username is different from your Octane username, you will prompted to provide your Octane username.
- In the Submit Defect dialog box, give your defect a name, and select the Octane workspace to which to submit the defect. Only workspaces to which you have access are listed.
UFT Mobile will populate the description field of the defect with the device details (manufacturer, model, ID, version) and the numbered list of steps.
Note: The workspace will be saved and set as the default for the next defect that you submit.
If you selected to include a screenshot with a step, the screenshot will be included in a zip file that is automatically attached to the defect. Screenshot files are named according to the step number. The zip file also contains the device log file.
- Click Save to submit your defect.
Known issues with recorded sessions
- A screenshot of the last action is not recorded and not saved to the report log.
- When recording on iOS devices, hybrid/web is supported only for iOS version 11 and higher.
Sprinter is a software solution for interactive testing, including testing mobile applications. Sprinter provides advanced functionality and tools to make interactive testing more efficient and effective.
When you start up Sprinter, you select whether to log in with your ALM credentials or connect to UFT Mobile.
- Enable browser cookies.
- Clean devices of any apps installed using earlier versions of UFT Mobile.
|Install||Visit the Sprinter page in the AppDelivery Marketplace.|
Open the Sprinter Help Center.