Create and maintain business process tests and flows in UFT One
Relevant for: business process tests and flows
This task describes the high-level steps on how to create, maintain, and run business process tests and flows in UFT One.
- Load the necessary add-ins in the Add-in Manager on UFT One startup.
Connect to an ALM server and project.
Create application areas for each area of your application
Before creating tests and their components, create application areas for each area of your application. The application area contains the object repositories with the test objects, function libraries, and specific settings to use for the component.
Do one of the following:
- In the toolbar, click the New button down arrow and select New Application Area.
- In the BPT View, click the Add a New Application Area button.
- In the New Application Area dialog box, navigate to the directory in your ALM project in which you want to save the application area and provide a name for the application area.
- Click Create. UFT One adds the application area to your ALM project and opens the application area in the document pane.
Components make up the building blocks of a business process test. Therefore, before creating the business process tests, you must create the individual components.
Note: If you are recording the steps in your test, you do not need to create components before beginning to record. For details on how to add components to the test by recording, see Add components to business process tests and flows
- In the toolbar, click the New button down arrow and select New Business Component.
- In the New Business Component dialog box, select the type of component: Keyword GUI or Scripted GUI.
- In the New Business Component dialog box, provide a Name and Location for the new component.
- In the Application Area field, click the Browse button and navigate to an application area to use with your component.
- Click Create. UFT One opens the new component in the document pane.
Add components to business process tests and flows
Your business process test consists of components, groups of components, or business process flows. In order to run a business process test, you must build the test with its components.
|From the Toolbox pane||
Add steps to your component
For details, see Create test steps in a business process test.
Group components and flows
In the document pane (grid view or canvas view), select the components or flows you want to group, and in the toolbar, click Group .
Note: When iterating groups, all items to be included in the group must have the same number of iterations, or an error message is displayed when you group the items.
Add structure to your test with branches
Add additional structure to your business process test using branches and branch conditions. These are helpful when your app has a dynamic functionality and interface, or the common user flow is non-linear.
For details, see Use BPT branches.
Use parameters in your test
For details, see Use data in a business process test
Default values for component or flow parameters are used during the run session, if no other value is supplied.
Iterate components and flows
By default, each component or flow you add to your test has a single iteration. If you need to run specific components multiple times, you can add iterations for these components and specify different values for the component parameters in each iteration.
For details on defining iterations and parameter values for the iterations, see Add iterations for a component or flow and Set data values for the parameters for each iteration.
Add a test configuration
You can add test configurations to your test to enable you to run the test with varying sets of data. For details, see Set up and run test configurations.
Debug and run your test
|To debug a test or component||
Insert breakpoints in specific components or flows in your test, and then run your test. The run session stops at each breakpoint.
If you run a BPT test from the ALM Test Plan module or from UFT One, UFT One stops the test at all breakpoints in both Debug and Normal modes. However, before running the BPT test, you must open the business components with the breakpoints and add them to the solution in UFT One.
|To run your test:||
In the toolbar, click the Run button .
View the run results
After the business process test run is complete, by default, the run results open. You can choose to display them in the Run Results Viewer or as an HTML-based report:
- In the Run Sessions pane of the Options dialog box (Tools > Options > General tab > Run Sessions node), select the report format you want: HTML Report or Run Results Viewer Report.
- Run your test.
The results are displayed in the document pane (for a HTML report) or in the Run Results Viewer.
Note: You can view the report in HTML format only when your business process test is stored in an ALM server running version 12.50.