Revert changes in a work area
In the Visual Studio IDE, you can remove the changes in a work area associated with a stream and replace them with the previous versions.
Guidelines for reverting changes
Review these guidelines and limitations before you start reverting changes:
Reverting changes works only with streams, not projects.
Only the changes in a local work area, not the stream, are reverted.
An entire changeset is reverted, not individual item revisions.
The original request relationships are not removed.
To synchronize the stream with the work area, deliver the changes after you have run this operation. This creates a new changeset.
To revert changes, you need the same privileges as the Deliver operation.
Assume that you have the following modifications in a work area that you delivered to a stream, which created changeset CS_19:
webapphelp\help.css (moved from webapp\help.css)
contact_support.html (a new file)
config.dat revision #9 (new revision)
After you revert to the previous changeset, CS_18, the work area content looks like this:
webapp\help.css (the previous path)
contact_support.html was deleted (a new file that was first delivered in CS_19)
config.dat revision #8 (the previous revision)
To synchronize the stream with the work area, deliver the changes, which creates changeset CS_20 with this content:
config.dat revision #8
You can revert the changes in your work area. For example, you have made changes locally and delivered them to a stream, but subsequently you decide to revert the changes in the work area.
To revert changes:
Do one of the following:
- To revert an entire changeset, in the Dimensions Projects view, right-click a stream and select Changesets.
- To revert a specific set of changes, in Solution Explorer, right-click a folder and select Folder Changesets.
- In the Changesets dialog box, right-click a changeset and select Revert from Work Area.
- The Select Undo Options dialog box displays the stream and changeset ID from which you are going to revert changes. To change the stream, click Select, and select one of the options in the Select Stream dialog box.
- The Update This Work Area field displays the work area where to undo changes. To change the work area enter its path or click Select and select a folder.
- To verify the undo changes before applying them to the work area, select Perform an interactive update.
- To restrict the undo to a specific folder and its subfolders, select Limit the Scope of the Update to this Folder and browse to the folder or enter its path. If you invoked the undo operation from a subfolder its path is pre-populated.
- Click Advanced.
To restrict the undo to particular files or folders, enter wildcard filters in:
- The Include repository file box to only include specific file types.
- The Exclude repository file box to exclude specific file types.
- Apply the repository date and time to the files in the work area that are undone.
- To automatically merge local and repository files whose content does not conflict, select Auto merge non-conflicting file content. You can also select a default character set that is used to transcode Unicode.
- Click Next.
- On the Review Changes page, select a resolution for each conflict. Your selection is displayed in the Resolution column.
- Click Update.